All our courses are available for adults aged 19 on 31 August 2018 and over only.
WMC – The Camden College in London can only accept learners aged 18 and over on the UAL Foundation Diploma in Art & Design.
WMC – The Camden College background
WMC – The Camden College, previously known as Working Men’s College (WMC), is the oldest surviving adult education institute in Europe, was founded in 1854 and was associated with the Cooperative Movement and the Christian Socialists, stemming, from the same tradition that led later to the Worker’s Educational Association. The Working Women’s College, founded 10 years later in 1864, finally merged with WMC in 1967. Early supporters of both have included F D Maurice, John Stuart Mill, Tom Hughes, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, John Ruskin, Ford Maddox Brown, Walter de la Mare and Octavia Hill. Originally based in Red Lion Street, we have been in this listed building in Camden Town since 1905. We have continued to develop the tradition of liberal education and today the College serves the whole community, with women, unemployed and refugee students forming the majority of the student body. We have grown rapidly in recent years but are still small enough to know all our students and to respond to their individual needs. WMC – The Camden College was designated as a Specialist Designated Institution (SDI) under the 1992 Further Education Act.
To provide diverse, enriching and enjoyable lifelong learning, including skills for work, in a supportive environment for adults in Camden and the local area.
WMC-The Camden College aims to:
- Provide high quality provision and excellence for all
- Provide efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability
- Enhance partnership working
Our Core Values
- WMC is Learner Centred: We strive to enable all learners to achieve their potential and to enjoy their learning with us. We listen to our learners and are adaptable, flexible and responsive to learner needs.
- WMC is committed to Continuous Improvement and Excellence: We constantly review what we do and how it could be improved to ensure that we get better.
- WMC is Respectful: We promote equality and celebrate diversity. We respect differences and treat people as individuals. We are understanding of each other’s values, cultures and beliefs and observe these in our interactions with each other.
- WMC is Collaborative: We work together to meet our common goals, valuing each other’s contribution. We share and celebrate the talent, skills, knowledge and experience of every person at WMC.