What are Foundation Diplomas?
UAL Foundation Diploma: Develop your career in Art and Design and get into university
Start date: 11 September 2017
Duration: 32 weeks on Mon, Tue and Wed
Level: UAL Foundation Diploma in Art & Design is at Level 3. This qualification is recognised by Universities and gives you UCAS Points.
- The fee is £5,420*
*There is no fee if you are aged 18 on 31 August 2017. For learners aged 19 and over, there are low interest government loans available. You will not need to pay your fees up front.
Our one-year UAL Foundation Diploma in Art & Design is a Level 3 qualification designed to help you build a strong portfolio of work to progress into higher education or in to further employment in the Creative Industries.
You may already have a direction in your work, be thinking about lots of possibilities and be unable to decide or be unsure about which career pathway will be best for you. During the course, you gain a range of experiences through subject specialist project briefs and activities and develop independent learning skills which will equip you for your next step into your career. You will receive subject specialist advice and guidance, develop a personal identity and portfolio of work that shows your skills and potential and assistance through UCAS and your Higher Education application.
Our College is a small and caring learning community. We attract a diverse range of learners and employ dedicated teaching staff who have the professional expertise to help learners to build their knowledge, skills and confidence to follow their dream. Our students regularly achieve places at prestigious Universities such as Royal College of Art, Central Saint Martins, Wimbledon College of Art, Goldsmith and Camberwell College of Art. We offer specialist pathways in:
- Fine Art – this covers Installation, Film Making, Painting, Performance, Photography and Sculpture
- Fashion, Textiles and Design – this covers Accessories, Architecture, Jewellery Design, Menswear, Product Design, Set Design, Styling, Textile Design and Womenswear
- Visual Communications – this covers Advertising, Animation, Film Making, Graphic Design, Illustration, Image Making and Photography
This is a very exciting course that encompasses a wide range of skills and knowledge. Nevertheless it is a taught course on which you will learn the fundamental practical professional practice in the Visual Arts and Design – visual research, idea generation and development as well as the production of the finished piece. As well as covering own specialist area of interest in depth.
Our aims for the course is to enable you to:
- Have a critical and contextual awareness of different perspectives and approaches within art, design or related subjects of study or work
- Research, analyse and evaluate relevant information and ideas in order to develop creative solutions
- Understand, adapt and safely use appropriate and practical methods and skills for creative production
- Solve complex problems through the application of art, design or related practical, theoretical and technical understanding
- Critically review the effectiveness and appropriateness of methods, actions and results
- Use evaluative and reflective skills in order to take responsibility for own learning, development and decision making
- Take responsibility for the research, planning, time management and actions to access progression opportunities
- Effectively present themselves and their work to appropriate audiences.
The framework of the course is broken down into three stages:
Term 1: Learning skills and context
Unit 1: Art and design research methods
Unit 2: Art and design ideas development
Unit 3: Art and design materials and methods
Unit4: Art and design evaluation and reflection
(Assessment – Pass / Fail).
Term 2: Development and progression / UCAS application
Unit 5: Integrated art and design research, ideas and methods
Unit6: Preparation for progression in art and design
(Assessment – Pass / Fail).
Term 3: ‘Final Major Project’ Proposal and realisation – (final assessment and award – Pass/ Merit /Distinction)
Unit 7: Project proposal and realisation in art and design
Assessment- Pass / Merit / Destinction
In order to gain the Diploma, all Units in these three stages must be successfully completed.
Teaching and learning methods
You will be taught through a range of studio based workshops with demonstrations The emphasis is on a highly personalised approach matching teaching and learning Peer to peer learning is encouraged through show and tell and critiques. You will take part in live Industry projects and practitioner led sessions.
Inspirational visits such as key exhibitions and collections are also an integral part of the course.
Studio and project work will be assessed on a weekly basis in tutorials. Feedback and suggestions to improve your emerging fashion practice will be given on an informal Your progress through course units will be assessed during project critiques and one to ones. Your work will be formally assessed at the three stages of the course.
You will need GCSE Maths and English grade A-C and a minimum of 1 ‘A’ Level, or National Diploma, or equivalent. We also interview applicants and you will be required to bring a portfolio of your work to the interview.
Applicants returning to learning after a break may be considered on portfolio and interview alone.
Download and complete the application form below. You need to do this as soon as possible to guarantee a place on the course.
Upon successful completion of the course you will achieve a UAL Foundation Diploma in Art & Design at Level 3. By the end of the course students of all ages achieve their aim of progressing to university with 100% of applicants finding degree places at the most prestigious art regularly offered places at Goldsmiths, Camberwell, Wimbledon, Central St Martins, Chelsea, London College of Communication and many other great universities. Graphics, Illustration, Photography, Time-Based Media, Animation, Architectural & Interior Design, Graphic Product Innovation, Sculpture, Art Writing, Transport Design, Effects and Professional practice in Art and Design.
5 reasons to join the Art & Design Foundation Diplomas
- Outstanding quality of teaching and learning (Ofsted 2013) with 100% progression rate to university
- Close relationships with universities
- Class size – we are small groups and in the privileged position to be able to offer excellent one-to-one advice and guidance
- Wealth of experience – all our tutors have years of experience lecturing at university level and know what art college tutors and lecturers are looking for in a portfolio and for interviews
- Dedicated specialist studios and workshops.
WMC-The Camden College in London is well respected by universities. We have progression relationships with many of the countries top art colleges. The feedback we often get is that our learners have the maturity to know what makes them tick creatively and what they are about, which is crucial in the creative fields.
For more information about the Foundation Diploma click here: Art & Design – University of the Arts (UAL) Foundation Diploma
Take a look at what our Foundation Diploma learners have been up to in their time here: WMC Foundation Diploma Blog
If you have any further questions about the Foundation Diploma please email: ArtsSchool@wmcollege.ac.uk