- Learning Support
Supporting students with disabilities and learning difficulties
Our Learning Support team is here to help students with a disability including specific learning needs. Resources are limited as funds for providing Learning Support remain limited. Therefore, we allocate support on the basis of our priorities for supporting students. These ensure that the neediest students are prioritised.
Notifying your needs. You can do this before you enrol so you can get advice about what learning support is available – just contact Student Services or email email@example.com or phone 020 7255 4759 and let them know you would like this advice. You can do it when you enrol by using the space on the enrolment form to let us know of any disability or needs for which you require sup port. And you can do it after you have enrolled, by letting us know at any time if you think you need some learning support.
Assessing and meeting your needs. Our Learning Support team will arrange an interview for you with appropriate staff. You will be able to discuss your particular needs. A Learning Support specialist will assess your needs. We aim to offer you appropriate support, taking our priorities into account, in a Learning Support Plan to reach you within 10 days of your interview. Sometimes we will need first to offer you and to arrange a more detailed assessment. Confidentiality is always respected and maintained.
Learning support may include
- Access We try to make all key programmes and activities accessible to all students. Let us know if you have other access needs and we will do our best to meet them.
- Diagnostic Assessment is provided to students who have clearly identified to us that theyhave a learning difficulty or disability.
- Dyslexia Support is provided on a one to one and small group basis from a specialist dyslexiasupport tutor for students assessed as dyslexic.
- Individual Support will be provided for all assessed students who require this support.
- Support Workshops may be arranged for students who require additional support oncourses.
- Tutor Support The college team of specialist personal tutors is available to give tutorialsupport to students on request. Your subject/course tutors will also give you support. You willget feedback on your progress during individual progress review sessions.
- Welfare Advice & Support If you have financial worries, are confused about welfare benefits,or are facing homelessness, our welfare advice & support worker is available to help you.
- Careers Advice A careers adviser is available to provide advice and guidance onemployment, training or educational options
- Counselling Counselling is available for students who require this additional support. Funds for providing Learning Support remain limited. Therefore all support provided is subject to availability ofresources and to the application of our priorities for supporting students.